7 tips to improve your portion sizes
- Buy 3 drink bottles - one for home, work, and the car. Fill them up regularly with water only.
- Use (or buy) and smaller plate/bowel
- Use smaller serving spoons
- Ensure 50% or more of all main meals are made up of vegetables
- Invest in smaller (and various sizes) of Tupperware/containers AND buy lots of them
- Put leftovers in a container at the same time as serving your meals
- Wait at least 20 minutes after finishing your meal before considering eating more
Food Portion Size Guidelines
Food portion sizes can have a HUGE affect on weight/body fat gain and weight/body fat loss. Your portion size requirements can vary depending on your exercise status, age, sex, training goals etc.
As a general rule, when trying to lose weight (per meal), you should be aiming for:
1 x portion of protein (e.g. chicken, beef, fish etc)
2 x portions of vegetables
1 x portion of carbs (potato, kumara, brown rice etc)
1 x portion of fats
*Men, depending on size, may need to have up to double that of women.
*Water should be a dominant drink with all meals and consumed throughout the day.
The graphic below from Precision Nutrition gives you a visual indication of what this should look like.